Winter Hiking Boots
Winter hiking is a popular get away these days with all the protective gear being available. Here are some of the pointeres:
- An insulated boot is a good idea for winter hiking. Brands such as Columbia, Salomon, Sorel and Mukluk provide good quality winter hiking boots. Waterproof hiking boots are also a good option in some parts where the snow is of the wet-type. Choose boots that provide warmth. Soles are of secondary importance.
- Stay away from the temptation of using regular running shoes for winter hiking. If you get a decent pair of gaiters, your feet should be fine.
- As far as possible use vapor barrier or GTX socks. They will provide warmth and prevent the inside of your boot from getting wet. In winter, boots freeze overnight unless wrapped in a plastic bag and placed inside your sleeping bag.
- Dolomite Ortles G hiking boots are good snow shoes. They are one-piece leather with a gore-tex liner which keeps the feet warmer.
- Sorel Bighorns are also known to keep the warmth in your feet. Plastic boots work but are a bit rigid.
- Some companys that make snowshoes.
- Atlas Snow Shoe Company
- Crescent Moon Snowshoe Company
- Verts Climbing Shoes
- Havlick's Snow Shoes
- Iverson Snowshoe Company
- Little Bear Snow Shoes
- Mountain Safety Research Snow Shoes
- Northern Lites Snow Shoes..the "Lightest"..
- Prater Snow Shoes
- Redfeather Snow Shoes
- Tubbs Snow Shoes