Waterproof Hiking Boots
Water in the boots can cause blisters on your feet. It is always a good idea to waterproof your hiking boots. Either buy hiking boots that are already waterproof, or be certain that you can waterproof them yourself. You can also increase your protection against blisters by adding a pair of waterproof socks made specifically for hiking or walking.
Here are some of the pointers:
Note: When waterproofing hiking boots, don't over do it. Apply two thin coats of waterproofing treatment instead of one super thick layer on.
- Make sure your boots are clean and free from dirt and debris before you waterproof your hiking boots.
- Preferably, leather boots should be waterproofed using a water-based or fluoropolymer product. This substance dries quickly and is a stain repelant. It can be used for previously treated leather also.
- Take extra care of the seams as they face much wear and tear. It is advised to concentrate on the seams so as not to let the water in.
- If you have a hiking boot with a Gore Tex lining, use a silicone-based waterproofing substance. This ensures maintained breathability. Wax-based treatments keep the leather from "breathing."
- Some boot makers do provide waterproof hiking boots.
- Waterproof Socks : SealSkinz makes waterproof socks, a great option for those who want to walk in sandals in all weather, or who don't want to give up the performance of their favorite walking shoe in favor of a waterproof shoe.
- Some popular brands such as Hi-Tec, Kodiak offer waterproof hiking boots.